霍晓红 SPACE

又一个WordPress站点

首页 >全部文章 > 正文内容
【视频】| 干嘛那么麻烦要离开家? TED-英语口语达人

策划 | Ellen & Tiffany编辑| Faye 版式 | Beata
视频介绍
探险家本·桑德斯希望你们踏出家门,看看外面的世界!并不是因为外面的世界总是充满了快乐开心,是因为那里才是生命的真谛所在,“在那里我们汲取日常生活的真露。”桑德斯下一次的户外探险是什么?他想成为世界上第一个徒步往返南极洲海岸和南极点的人。
演讲者:Ben Saunders
片长:10:34

I essentially drag sledges for a living,so it doesn't take an awful lot to flummox me intellectually,but I'm going to read this questionfrom an interview earlier this year:"Philosophically, does the constant supply of informationsteal our ability to imagineor replace our dreams of achieving?After all, if it is being done somewhere by someone,and we can participate virtually,then why bother leaving the house?"
基本可以说,我是靠拉雪橇来谋生的。所以,牛牧童 拼智力的话真的不用花很大力气就能赢我。不过止痛化癓胶囊 ,我还是会读一下这个问题。这是今年早些时候一个采访中的问题:"从哲学的角度来说,源源不断的资讯是否偷走了我们想象的能力或是取代了我们的成功梦?毕竟,如果某人在某地不论做什么事情,我们都能感同身受地参与的话,那么干嘛还要那么麻烦离开家呢?"
I'm usually introduced as a polar explorer.I'm not sure that's the most progressive or 21st-centuryof job titles审判四人帮 , but I've spent more than two percent nowof my entire life living in a tent inside the Arctic Circle,so I get out of the house a fair bit.And in my nature, I guess, I am a doer of thingsmore than I am a spectator or a contemplator of things,滕王阁序朗读 and it's that dichotomy, the gulf between ideas and actionthat I'm going to try and explore briefly.
人们通常介绍我是一名极地探险家。我不确定极地探险家是否是21世纪最激进的一个职位。但是我一生中有超过2%的时间都是在北极圈内的一个帐篷里度过的,所以可以说,我离家颇久。我想我的个性是属于实干派,我不能算是旁观者或沉思者一类的,我想简单和大家探讨一下的正是这种分歧,这种想法和行动之间不可逾越的鸿沟。
The pithiest answer to the question "why?"that's been dogging me for the last 12 yearswas credited certainly to this chap, the rakish-looking gentlemanstanding at the back, second from the left,George Lee Mallory. Many of you will know his name.In 1924 he was last seen disappearing into the cloudsnear the summit of Mt. Everest.He may or may not have been the first person to climb Everest,more than 30 years before Edmund Hillary.
过去的12年间我一直不停在思考"为什么"。而最好的答案孙太平,应当归功于站在后排从左往右数第二位,看上去一脸轻松的这位先生。他就是乔治·李·马洛里,你们当中有很多应该知道他的名字。1924年,他消失在珠穆朗玛峰峰顶一片云雾中,从此踪迹全无。不知道他是不是第一位攀登珠穆朗玛峰的人雪蛟 ,比埃德蒙·希拉里早30多年。
No one knows if he got to the top. It's still a mystery.But he was credited with coining the phrase, "Because it's there."Now I'm not actually sure that he did say that.There's very little evidence to suggest it, but what he did sayis actually far nicer,and again, I've printed this. I'm going to read it out.
没有人知道他是否到达山顶,这仍旧是个迷。人们总是把他和这句话联系在一起"因为它就在那儿"("Because it's there.")现在我并不确定他是否说过这句话,并没有确凿的证据可以证明一两江湖 ,但事实上,他却说过更棒的话。一样,我也打印出来了,念给大家听。
"The first question which you will askand which I must try to answer is this:What is the use of climbing Mt. Everest?And my answer must at once be, it is no use.There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever.Oh, we may learn a little about the behaviorof the human body at high altitudes,and possibly medical men may turn our observationto some account for the purposes of aviation,but otherwise nothing will come of it.
"你们必然会问的,也是我必须回答的第一问题是:攀登珠穆朗玛峰有什么用呢?而我的答案毫无疑问一定是:毫无用处。爬珠穆朗玛峰不会带来哪怕是一丁点儿的好处初家晴。恩,我们可以了解一下人体在高海拔地区会有哪些反应,或许医学人士可以用我们的观察结果做一些航空学上有价值的解释傲世衍天 ,但在别的方面不会有任何收获。
We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver,and not a gem, nor any coal or iron.We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be plantedwith crops to raise food. So it is no use.If you cannot understand that there is something in manwhich responds to the challenge of this mountainand goes out to meet it, that the struggleis the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward,then you won't see why we go.
我们不会带着任何一点金银宝石或煤铁回来、我们不会带着任何一点金银宝石或煤铁回来、我们找不到一寸土地可种庄稼收获食物,所以真是一无是处。如果你无法理解,人就是有一种情结要迎接山的挑战、要走出去和它相见,这种斗争是人生永远的斗争。向上,永远向上,那么你永远都不明白我们为什么登山爱情二十年 。
What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy,and joy, after all, is the end of life.We don't live to eat and make money.We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life.That is what life means, and that is what life is for."
我们探险旅程给予我们的是纯粹的快乐,而快乐毕竟才是生命的终极。我们活着不是为了吃饭挣钱。我们吃饭挣钱是为了能够享受生活。这才是生命的意义,这才是生活的目的。"
Mallory's argument that leaving the house,embarking on these grand adventures is joyful and fun,however, doesn't tally that neatly with my own experience.The furthest I've ever got away from my front doorwas in the spring of 2004. I still don't know exactlywhat came over me, but my plan was to makea solo and unsupported crossing of the Arctic Ocean.I planned essentially to walk from the north coast of Russiato the North Pole, and then to carry on to the north coast of Canada.No one had ever done this. I was 26 at the time.A lot of experts were saying it was impossible,and my mum certainly wasn't very keen on the idea.(Laughter)
马洛里坚持离开家踏上精彩的历险旅途会多么快乐有趣。然而,这和我的经历并非完全一致。2004年的春天,我第一次离开家去了生平最远的地方,我仍旧不知道自己哪儿来的主意。不过我的计划是单枪匹马穿越北冰洋,我的计划是从俄罗斯北岸出发向北极前进,然后继续向加拿大北岸前进。此举前所未有,而当时我仅26岁。当时很多专家都说这是不可能的。当然,我妈妈肯定不太喜欢这个主意。(笑声)
The journey from a small weather station on the north coastof Siberia up to my final starting point,the edge of the pack ice, the coast of the Arctic Ocean,took about five hours, and if anyone watched fearlessFelix Baumgartner going up, rather than just coming down,you'll appreciate the sense of apprehension,as I sat in a helicopter thundering north,and the sense, I think if anything, of impending doom.I sat there wondering what on Earth I had gotten myself into.
从西伯利亚北部的一个气象站开始,到我最终的起点北冰洋海岸上一块漂浮冰块的边沿,这一段小小旅程就花了整整五个小时。如果任何人看过菲利克斯·鲍姆加特纳(从“太空”往地球跳 )升上太空而不仅仅是他纵身一跳,那么就一定会有同感。正如我坐在一架轰鸣在北方高空的直升机上,那种感觉,我想一定就是末日临头的感觉。我坐在那儿 禁不住想究竟给自己惹了什么麻烦事儿。
There was a bit of fun, a bit of joy.I was 26. I remember sitting therelooking down at my sledge. I had my skis ready to go,I had a satellite phone, a pump-action shotgunin case I was attacked by a polar bear.I remember looking out of the window and seeing the second helicopter.We were both thundering through this incredible Siberian dawn,and part of me felt a bit like a cross between Jason Bourneand Wilfred Thesiger. Part of mefelt quite proud of myself, but mostly I was just utterly terrified.
有一点点有趣、有一点点快乐。那时我26岁,我记得坐在那里俯视着我的雪橇,我的滑雪板已经准备就绪。我有一台卫星电话、一把连发猎步枪以防万一被北极熊袭击。我还记得望出窗外,看着第二架的直升机在西伯利亚无比美丽的破晓前,我们一同在空中轰鸣,一部分的我感觉像是杰森·伯恩和威弗瑞·塞西格的合体,还有一部分的我对自己感到非常自豪,但最多的感觉还是彻彻底底的恐惧。
And that journey lasted 10 weeks我是秦二世, 72 days.I didn't see anyone else. We took this photo next to the helicopter.Beyond that, I didn't see anyone for 10 weeks.The North Pole is slap bang in the middle of the sea,so I'm traveling over the frozen surface of the Arctic Ocean.NASA described conditions that year as the worst since records began.I was dragging 180 kilos of food and fuel and supplies,about 400 pounds. The average temperature for the 10 weekswas minus 35. Minus 50 was the coldest.So again, there wasn't an awful lot of joy or fun to be had.
这一旅程整整持续了10周,72天,一路上我没遇到任何人。我们在直升机旁边一起留了影,除此之外整整10周我没看到任何人。北极恰好位于大海中央,所以我的旅程穿越了北冰洋上冰冻的表面,美国宇航局称当时的情况是有史以来最恶劣的。我拖着180公斤的食物和400磅的燃料供给,整整10周里,平均温度是零下35度,最冷的时候有零下50度。所以,再说一遍,真的没什么值得开心高兴的事儿。
One of the magical things about this journey再造神州 , however,is that because I'm walking over the sea,over this floating, drifting, shifting crust of icethat's floating on top of the Arctic Ocean isit's an environment that's in a constant state of flux.The ice is always moving, breaking up, drifting around,refreezing, so the scenery that I saw for nearly 3 monthswas unique to me. No one else will ever, could ever,possibly see the views, the vistas, that I saw for 10 weeks.
然而,这段旅程最神奇的事情之一是因为我在穿越海洋,穿越北冰洋上随波逐流的硬邦邦的冰块,那是一个流动的世界,冰块不停地移动、破裂、漂流又重新结冻,因此逆回十六夜 ,在那三个月里所见到的景象对于我来说是独一无二,任何人都将不可能目睹那种景象。任何人都不可能见到我在那十周的日子里看到的景象。
And that, I guess, is probably the finest argument for leaving the house.I can try to tell you what it was like,but you'll never know what it was like,and the more I try to explain that I felt lonely,I was the only human being in 5.4 million square-miles,it was cold, nearly minus 75 with windchill on a bad day,the more words fall short, and I'm unable to do it justice.And it seems to me, therefore, that the doing,you know, to try to experience, to engage, to endeavor金玫瑰纹绣 ,rather than to watch and to wonder, that's wherethe real meat of life is to be found,the juice that we can suck out of our hours and days.
我想也许这就是为什么要离开家最好的理由。我可以尽量为大家形容那番景象,但你们永远都不可能真正知道。我越是想说明,就越觉得孤单。在方圆5百40万平方英里内,我是唯一一个人类。天气很冷,寒风凛凛的日子,有将近零下75度,言语越发显得贫乏而我无法准确地形容。因此,对于我来说,你们知道比起旁观想象,行动起来、努力体验、参与尝试,才能发现生命的真谛,才能从日常生活中获取动力之源。
And I would add a cautionary note here, however.In my experience, there is something addictiveabout tasting life at the very edge of what's humanly possible.Now I don't just mean in the field ofdaft macho Edwardian style derring-do,but also in the fields of pancreatic cancer,there is something addictive about this, and in my case,I think polar expeditions are perhaps not that far removedfrom having a crack habit.
然而,在这里我想提出一个警告。根据我的个人经验,人们对于在极限状态下品味人生总会有些上瘾。我所指的不仅仅是爱德华七世时期盛行的愚蠢大男子主义一类的大胆行径,还有像罹患胰腺癌什么的,又有些什么让人欲罢不能。而我的情况是冷雨夜谐音,我认为或许极地探险与一般人的毒瘾没有很大区别。
I can't explain quite how good it is until you've tried it,but it has the capacity to burn up all the money I can get my hands on,to ruin every relationship I've ever had,so be careful what you wish for.
除非你们亲身体验过,否则我无法解释清楚那感觉有多好,它能够让我心甘情愿花光手上每一分钱、抛弃一切友情爱恋,所以,一定要慎重。
Mallory postulated that there is something in manthat responds to the challenge of the mountain,and I wonder if that's the case whether there's somethingin the challenge itself陈杏衣 , in the endeavor, and particularlyin the big, unfinished, chunky challenges that face humanitythat call out to us, and in my experience that's certainly the case.There is one unfinished challengethat's been calling out to me for most of my adult life.
马洛里假定人类会本能地回应高山的挑战,而我想是否是挑战本身是努力的过程,特别是人类所面临的巨大的、未知的、确确实实的挑战在呼唤我们。以我的经验来说,正是如此。在我成年后的大多数岁月里,一个未竟的挑战一直在召唤我。
Many of you will know the story.This is a photo of Captain Scott and his team.Scott set out just over a hundred years ago to tryto become the first person to reach the South Pole.No one knew what was there. It was utterly unmappedat the time. We knew more about the surface of the moonthan we did about the heart of Antarctica.
你们当中有很多人会知道这个故事,这是斯考特队长和他的团队的一张照片。斯考特在100多年前出发,试图成为第一位到达南极的人类,人们对那里一无所知,从未有人他上过那片土地。我们对南极洲了解甚少,甚至不如我们对月球表面的了解。
Scott, as many of you will know, was beaten to itby Roald Amundsen and his Norwegian team,who used dogs and dogsleds. Scott's team were on foot,all five of them wearing harnesses and dragging around sledges,and they arrived at the pole to find the Norwegian flag already there,I'd imagine pretty bitter and demoralized.All five of them turned and started walking back to the coastand all five died on that return journey.
如你们所知,斯考特失败了,败给了利用狗拉雪橇的罗尔德·亚孟森和他的挪威团队。斯考特和队员们靠双脚徒步前进,他们五个人背着吊带拖着雪橇徒步前进,而当他们到达南极时却发现挪威旗帜早已捷足先登。我能够想象那是多么痛苦、令人沮丧,五名队员一起掉头有钱先生 ,向海岸前行,五个人都死在了回程的路上。
There is a sort of misconception nowadays thatit's all been done in the fields of exploration and adventure.When I talk about Antarctica, people often say,"Hasn't, you know, that's interesting,hasn't that Blue Peter presenter just done it on a bike?"Or, "That's nice. You know, my grandmother's goingon a cruise to Antarctica next year. You know.Is there a chance you'll see her there?"(Laughter)
今天人们有一种误解,认为探险已经没有什么新奇的。当我谈起南极洲的时候,人们经常会说“你知道么,真是有意思啊《兰彼得》的(英国儿童节目)主持人不是刚骑车去过南极洲么”又或是 “真棒啊,你知道我祖母打算明年乘游轮去南极洲,你说,你们有可能在那儿碰面么?”(笑声)
But Scott's journey remains unfinished.No one has ever walked from the very coast of Antarcticato the South Pole and back again.It is, arguably, the most audacious endeavorof that Edwardian golden age of exploration,and it seemed to me high time, given everythingwe have figured out in the century sincefrom scurvy to solar panels, that it was high timesomeone had a go at finishing the job.So that's precisely what I'm setting out to do.
但是斯考特的旅程并未完成,还没有人成功地徒步往返。南极洲最边际的海岸线和南极之间,可以说,这是探险的黄金年代-爱德华时代。最大胆的一次尝试,在我看来,正是时候 。想想看这个世纪我们上个世界解决那些问题,从坏血病到太阳能板,因此如果有人想尝试完成某项任务这正是最好的时候。所以,这正是我准备做的事情。
This time next year, in October, I'm leading a team of three.It will take us about four months to make this return journey.That's the scale. The red line is obviously halfway to the pole.We have to turn around and come back again.I'm well aware of the irony of telling you that we will beblogging and tweeting. You'll be able to livevicariously and virtually through this journeyin a way that no one has ever before.And it'll also be a four-month chance for me to finallycome up with a pithy answer to the question, "Why?"
明年这个时候,10月份,我将带领一个三人团队,我们将要花费4个月左右走完往返的路程。这个比例尺,很显然这条红线表明往返南极的半程。我们必须折返,踏上返程,告诉大家我们将会发博客、发推特,我知道这很讽刺。你们将能够以一种从未采用过的、间接但确实的方式,感受整段旅行。同样对于我来说,在这四个月旅程中我将有机会找到答案 很好地回答“为什么”这个问题。
And our lives today are safer and more comfortablethan they have ever been. There certainly isn't much callfor explorers nowadays. My career advisor at schoolnever mentioned it as an option.If I wanted to know, for example,how many stars were in the Milky Way,how old those giant heads on Easter Island were,most of you could find that out right nowwithout even standing up.And yet, if I've learned anything in nearly 12 years nowof dragging heavy things around cold places,it is that true, real inspiration and growthonly comes from adversity and from challenge,from stepping away from what's comfortable and familiarand stepping out into the unknown.
比起从前,我们今天的生活更加安全舒适,当然也就不需要很多的探险者。读书时我的职业顾问,从未说过探险者会是一个职业选择。比如说,如果我想知道银河系有多少颗星星、复活岛上的巨石像存在了多少年,你们很多人甚至不用起立,就能马上找到答案。而且,要说在这12年中在寒冷地带拖曳重物,我学到了什么,那么毫无疑问,那便是来自困难、来自挑战、来自远离熟知的一切,迈向未知的领域所带来的鼓舞和成长。
In life, we all have tempests to ride and poles to walk to,and I think metaphorically speaking, at least,we could all benefit from getting outside the housea little more often, if only we could summon up the courage.I certainly would implore you to open the door just a little bitand take a look at what's outside.
生活中我们都必须经历风暴、迈向极点。我想,打个比方说吧,只要我们能够鼓起勇气,多出去看看世界,那么我们就都能获益。我真得希望大家能够多踏出家门一点,看看外面的世界不要忘了我 。
Thank you very much.(Applause)
非常感谢(掌声)
每天观看TED演讲,收获良多
TED | 20岁光阴不再来
TED | 在死亡面前,生活如何有意义
TED | 成功的关键:别急吃棉花糖
TED | 可以后悔,但不可以一悔再悔
TED | 只需专注10分钟
今日话题:分享一个你印象中最美的地方吧~
上一篇:大麦户登陆 下一篇:大闹西游动画 下载

繁华落尽 转瞬即逝

我们需要透过一系列的训练来突破关卡,我们需要达到一个不受到过去历史的羁绊的心境,透过这样的心境,进而引导成为一个适合进行前进到战士人,我们需要成为一个完美无缺的战士,我们的目标是遵循着力量进入无限的领域和穿越!