霍晓红 SPACE

又一个WordPress站点

首页 >全部文章 > 正文内容
【视频】| 未知的美丽 TED演讲-学英语练口语

演说者:Pico Iyer
演说题目:未知的美丽
几乎30年以前,皮寇 莱尔去日本旅行,爱上了那个国家并移居日本。作为一个敏锐的人类内心观察者,莱尔十几年前认为他了解日本,但是后来才知道他对日本的一切了解甚少。在这个充满智慧和旋律感的演讲中,莱尔阐述了随著年龄增长获取到的知识的秘密:我们知道的越多,我们越难发现我们知道的很少。

00:13
One hot October morning, I got off the all-night train in Mandalay, the old royal capital of Burma, now Myanmar. And out on the street, I ran into a group of rough men standing beside their bicycle rickshaws. And one of them came up and offered to show me around. The price he quoted was outrageous. It was less than I would pay for a bar of chocolate at home.
00:45
So I clambered into his trishaw, and he began pedaling us slowly between palaces and pagodas. And as he did, he told me how he had come to the city from his village. He'd earned a degree in mathematics. His dream was to be a teacher. But of course, life is hard under a military dictatorship, and so for now, this was the only way he could make a living. Many nights, he told me, he actually slept in his trishaw so he could catch the first visitors off the all-night train.
01:27
And very soon, we found that in certain ways, we had so much in common -- we were both in our 20s, we were both fascinated by foreign cultures -- that he invited me home.
01:41
So we turned off the wide, crowded streets, and we began bumping down rough, wild alleyways. There were broken shacks all around. I really lost the sense of where I was, and I realized that anything could happen to me now. I could get mugged or drugged or something worse. Nobody would know.
02:06
Finally鼢鼠, he stopped and led me into a hut, which consisted of just one tiny room. And then he leaned down, and reached under his bed. And something in me froze. I waited to see what he would pull out. And finally he extracted a box. Inside it was every single letter he had ever received from visitors from abroad, and on some of them he had pasted little black-and-white worn snapshots of his new foreign friends.
02:48
So when we said goodbye that night, I realized he had also shown me the secret point of travel, which is to take a plunge, to go inwardly as well as outwardly to places you would never go otherwise, to venture into uncertainty, ambiguity, even fear.
03:12
At home, it's dangerously easy to assume we're on top of things. Out in the world楼奴, you are reminded every moment that you're not, and you can't get to the bottom of things, either.
03:26
Everywhere, "People wish to be settled," Ralph Waldo Emerson reminded us, "but only insofar as we are unsettled is there any hope for us."
03:36
At this conference, we've been lucky enough to hear some exhilarating new ideas and discoveries and, really, about all the ways in which knowledge is being pushed excitingly forwards. But at some point, knowledge gives out. And that is the moment when your life is truly decided: you fall in love; you lose a friend; the lights go out. And it's then, when you're lost or uneasy or carried out of yourself, that you find out who you are.
04:14
I don't believe that ignorance is bliss. Science has unquestionably made our lives brighter and longer and healthier. And I am forever grateful to the teachers who showed me the laws of physics and pointed out that three times three makes nine. I can count that out on my fingers any time of night or day. But when a mathematician tells me that minus three times minus three makes nine, that's a kind of logic that almost feels like trust.
04:52
The opposite of knowledge, in other words, isn't always ignorance. It can be wonder. Or mystery. Possibility. And in my life, I've found it's the things I don't know that have lifted me up and pushed me forwards much more than the things I do know. It's also the things I don't know that have often brought me closer to everybody around me.
05:18
For eight straight Novembers, recently, I traveled every year across Japan with the Dalai Lama. And the one thing he said every day that most seemed to give people reassurance and confidence was, "I don't know."
05:36
"What's going to happen to Tibet?" "When are we ever going to get world peace?" "What's the best way to raise children?"
05:45
"Frankly," says this very wise man, "I don't know."
05:51
The Nobel Prize-winning economist Daniel Kahneman has spent more than 60 years now researching human behavior, and his conclusion is that we are always much more confident of what we think we know than we should be. We have, as he memorably puts it, an "unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance." We know -- quote, unquote -- our team is going to win this weekend, and we only remember that knowledge on the rare occasions when we're right. Most of the time爆炒甘蓝 , we're in the dark. And that's where real intimacy lies.
06:36
Do you know what your lover is going to do tomorrow? Do you want to know?
06:43
The parents of us all, as some people call them, Adam and Eve, could never die, so long as they were eating from the tree of life. But the minute they began nibbling from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, they fell from their innocence. They grew embarrassed and fretful, self-conscious. And they learned, a little too late, perhaps, that there are certainly some things that we need to know, but there are many, many more that are better left unexplored.
07:15
Now, when I was a kid, I knew it all, of course. I had been spending 20 years in classrooms collecting facts, and I was actually in the information business, writing articles for Time Magazine. And I took my first real trip to Japan for two-and-a-half weeks, and I came back with a 40-page essay explaining every last detail about Japan's temples, its fashions, its baseball games, its soul.
07:49
But underneath all that, something that I couldn't understand so moved me for reasons I couldn't explain to you yet, that I decided to go and live in Japan. And now that I've been there for 28 years, I really couldn't tell you very much at all about my adopted home. Which is wonderful, because it means every day I'm making some new discovery, and in the process, looking around the corner and seeing the hundred thousand things I'll never know.
08:24
Knowledge is a priceless gift. But the illusion of knowledge can be more dangerous than ignorance.
08:33
Thinking that you know your lover or your enemy can be more treacherous than acknowledging you'll never know them. Every morning in Japan, as the sun is flooding into our little apartment, I take great pains not to consult the weather forecast, because if I do, my mind will be overclouded, distracted, even when the day is bright.
09:01
I've been a full-time writer now for 34 years. And the one thing that I have learned is that transformation comes when I'm not in charge, when I don't know what's coming next, when I can't assume I am bigger than everything around me. And the same is true in love or in moments of crisis. Suddenly, we're back in that trishaw again and we're bumping off the broad, well-lit streets; and we're reminded, really, of the first law of travel and, therefore, of life: you're only as strong as your readiness to surrender.
09:47
In the end, perhaps, being human is much more important than being fully in the know.
09:56
Thank you.00:13
在一个炎热的十月早晨, 我下了过夜火车 在曼德勒, 那是旧的缅甸皇室首都, 现在是缅甸联邦了。 到了街上, 我碰到了一群衣着朴素的人, 站在他们的黄包车旁边。 其中的一个走上前, 想带我在附近逛逛。 他提出的价格是难以置信的嬴壮 , 比我在家一根巧克力棒的 价格还要便宜。
00:45
所以我爬上他的三轮车, 他开始缓缓地载着我, 穿梭在皇宫和宝塔之间雷连鸣 。 这时,他开始讲述他是 如何从他的村庄来到城市, 他取得了数学的学位。 梦想成为一名老师。 但是,受军阀独裁的 统治的生活是很困难的, 所以到现在, 这就是他唯一赖以生存的方式。 多少个夜晚,他告诉我, 他睡在自己的三轮车里, 为了能够接到 下连夜火车的第一个乘客。
01:27
很快,我们发现,在很多方面, 我们其实很像—— 我们都是二十几岁, 我们都热爱异国文化。 他邀请我到他家。
01:41
所以我们离开了宽大且拥挤的马路, 开始颠簸在一条条 凹凸不平的巷子里。 身边都是破旧的小屋。 我完全不知道我在哪, 我意识到什么都有可能发生在我身上。 我可能会被打劫或者下药, 或者更糟。 没人会知道极限进化空间 。
02:06
最终,他停了车, 带我进了一个棚屋, 棚屋只有一个小小的房间。 然后他趴下, 伸手到床下。 有点让我不知所措。 我等待着, 想知道他会拿出什么东西。 终于,他抽出了一个盒子, 里面是每一封他从外国游客那里 收到的信。 其中的一些,被他粘贴着, 他新交外国朋友的 小小的黑白照片,
02:48
那个晚上ca1403,当我们在互道再见的时候, 我意识到,他也向我展示了 旅行的秘密, 那就是沉浸于其中, 由里及外潘驴邓小闲, 去你不会去的地方, 去探索不确定, 模糊, 甚至是恐惧。
03:12
在家,我们极容易 认为事情都在掌控之中。 离家在外的时候,你要记住, 每一分每一秒, 你不会,也不能了解事情的全部。
03:26
“无论何处,人们都想通晓世事,” 拉尔夫·沃尔多·爱默生提醒过我们, “但是正因为我们无法通晓世事 我们才有希望。”
03:36
在这个会议,我们都很幸运, 能够听到一些令人激动的新主意和发现, 知识就在这样令人激动 的方式里被传播。 但是有的时候,知识不再起作用彭禹繁 。 那就是 当你的人生将被决定的时候: 坠入爱河, 失去朋友, 面对死亡。 然后, 当你失败或失落的时候, 你才会发现你是谁。
04:14
我不相信无知是三品废妻 福。 科学毋庸置疑让我们的生活 变得更光明,更长久,更健康。 我永远感激教导我 物理定律的老师 和教会我三乘三得九的老师。 我能在任何时候 用手指算出来。 但是当一个数学家告诉我, 负三乘负三等于九, 这种逻辑感觉有点像信任。
04:52
博学的反义,换一个角度来说, 不一定是无知。 也可能是思忖, 或者怀疑。 都有可能。 在我的人生中, 我发现是我不知道的事情 让我进步和成长, 远超过我知道的事情。 而且也是我不知道的事情, 让我和身边的人更亲近。
05:18
最近连续的八个十一月, 我和达赖喇嘛在日本游历。 他每天说的一件事, 似乎最能够让人们安慰和自信的, 就是“我不知道。”
05:36
“西藏会发生什么?” “什么时候世界会和平?” “培养孩子最好的方式是什么?”
05:45
“坦白说,”这个智者谈到, “我不知道李君华 。”
05:51
获得过诺贝尔奖的经济学家虚拟村庄3 , 丹尼尔·卡内曼 曾经花了超过60年研究人类行为, 他的结论是, 相对于我们真正知道的事情, 我们总是对自以为知道的 事情更自信。 他的表述是,“我们拥有 无尽的忽视无知的能力。“ 我们知道“我们队伍这周末会赢。” 我们只会记得这个在少数 我们是正确的情况下。 大多数时候,我们都处在无知当中, 这也是正是亲近所在。
06:36
你知道你的爱人明天要做什么吗? 你想知道吗?
06:43
对于一些人来说,我们的父母黄奕聪, 亚当和夏娃, 如果他们只从生命之树获取食物, 他们可以永生马坝人遗址 。 但是他们开始一点一点地从 知善恶树上获取食物的时候, 他们落入了无知的陷阱。 他们不耐心和烦躁, 自我意识太强。 他们可能意识到的太晚了一点, 总有一些事情是需要了解的, 但是还有更多最好处在未知的事情。
07:15
当我还是个孩子的时候, 当然,我觉得我什么都知道, 我已经在教室里花了20年收集信息, 而且,我在信息行业工作爱是长生殿 , 给时代杂志写文章。 我去日本的第一次旅行持续了两周半, 回来的时候, 我写了一份40页的文章, 关于日本寺庙 时尚潮流,棒球比赛的每一个细节。 还有日本的民族魂。
07:49
但是,更深的层次里, 依旧有一些我无法理解的东西, 无法言表地打动了我, 让我决定造访并在日本定居。 现在,我已经在那儿待了28年, 我真的没有办法告诉你们很多 关于我的第二个家。 这真的很棒, 因为这意味着我每天都会有些新发现。 在这个过程中, 我会查看墙角,并发现上万的 我永远不会知道的东西。
08:24
知识是无价的礼物。 但是装作知道可能比无知还要危险。
08:33
想想看你了解你的爱人, 或者你的敌人, 可能会比你不了解他们 还要危险。 在日本的每个早上, 当阳光涌入我们小公寓的时候, 我都会因为不看天气预报而难受, 因为如果我看了, 我的思绪会被积压,分散, 即使是晴天。
09:01
我当全职作家已经34年了, 我学到的一件事, 就是改变是在无知的时候发生的, 当我不知道接下来会发生什么的时候, 当我不知道身边的事情都是光明的时候。 也是当坠入爱河的时候, 或者身陷危机的时候。 突然,我们又回到了那辆三轮车,甘肃卫视节目表 我们正在颠簸地离开宽大明亮的马路, 并提醒我们旅行的真谛, 因此,霍晓红 在生活中, 你因面对未知的能力而强壮,
09:47
可能,在最后, 做普通人, 可能比做一个无所不知的人 还要重要。
09:56
谢谢。
更多英语演讲视频,关注公众号
TED英语演说
长按扫描下方二维码,即可关注
本公众号演讲视频均来自网络,如有侵权,请联系删除!
福利资源:
【福利1】48000+本书籍等你来选,读书要趁早哦吕笑笑 !
【福利2】四六级、雅思/托福、专四/专八这里统统有...
【福利3】2000+G美剧资源,你要的美剧都在这里!
【福利4】时间管理+思维导图+提升学习力...
【福利5】5000余套PPT模版,大神都要仰视你~
赞赏
上一篇:星峰传说无弹窗【视频】- 解溪穴,通络去火 每日一穴-红杏林学院 下一篇:抗战中的赤色悍匪【视频】- 让孩子一秒钟安静下来,聚餐出行哄娃妙招 明日预告-mom看世界

繁华落尽 转瞬即逝

我们需要透过一系列的训练来突破关卡,我们需要达到一个不受到过去历史的羁绊的心境,透过这样的心境,进而引导成为一个适合进行前进到战士人,我们需要成为一个完美无缺的战士,我们的目标是遵循着力量进入无限的领域和穿越!