微英语 | Don't get stressed out随想回旋曲 !- 谈工作压力
微英语 | 美女外教老师教你春天有关的英语习语!
推荐 | 教你如何正确提高英语发音的方式
推荐 | 3 Tips to sound like Native Speaker
推荐 | 48个英语音标读音示范
下载 | 英语发音纠正:Andy Krieger版、美音版、BBC英音版
转发、点赞、阅读底部推广,支持平台发展。

【 滑 动 查 看视频字幕】
Hi there. My name is Emma位面审判者 , and today's video is about the word "about". So before I begin,well it's also -- sorry --, it's about "about", "about to", and "not about to". So we're goingto look at what "about" means, what "about to" means绝代疯少, and what "not about to" means;they have different meanings.
But before I begin talking about the grammarand what these expressions mean欧碧玺, I just want to say that you'll notice I have a Canadianpronunciation of "about". Okay?
So, if you ever hear an American make a joke about aCanadian, one of the jokes they often make is about the way Canadians say "about". For me, I don't actually hear the difference between how Americans say "about" and how Canadianssay "about", but any time I go to the States, as soon as I say this word they go, "You'rea Canadian." So just so you're aware: I have a Canadian pronunciation of the word "about".So let's get started. First I'm going to talk about the word "about"猪猪岛小说网 , then "about to", andthen "not about to". Okay, so "about". Now, there are many different meanings of the word"about", I'm just going to go through two of the most common. So these are not all themeanings, there are a lot of meanings. This is just... these are just the two most common.So I have an example sentence here: "It's about five miles to town." So this means it'sclose to five miles to town; it's around five miles to town. I'm not saying exactly, it'sfive miles. I don't know龙之力量, maybe it's 5.2 miles, maybe it's 4.9 miles, but it's around fivemiles. I could say,察猜 "It's about three o'clock." I don't mean it's exactly three o'clock. Maybeit's 2:59, maybe it's 3:05; it's close to that time. Okay? So that's the first meaningthat we use very often when we want to say: "It's not exactly, but it's close to."The second meaning is when we want to say what the subject is, we want to know whatthe subject of something is. So you might ask somebody: "What's Titanic about?" So thisis: -"What is the subject of the movie?" -"Well, it's about two people who fall in love ona sinking ship." Another example of the same idea with subject-- I love this question --, "What are you thinking about?" So I have a friend who alwaysasks her husband this question. She looks at him and she says, "What are you thinkingabout?" And he's probably not thinking about anything I'm pretty sure or maybe work, andhe always says to her, "Nothing. Nothing税企通 , I'm战团1.153破解补丁 , I don't know. I'm thinking, I don't know,sports?" So my friend always asks this question hoping that he will say something very deep,maybe something romantic, maybe something sweet. But usually, I'm pretty sure he's notreally thinking about much. So these are probably the two most common usages of "about". Soagain, "close to" and you want to know the subject.So now let's look at "about to". Okay, so now I'm about to talk to you about "aboutto". So "Be + about + to", this has its own unique meaning. So "be" is a verb, then youneed "about", and don't forget this little preposition童子命查询 , this is important: "to". Whatdoes this mean? It means you're going to do something soon; you're very close to doingsomething. So for example:"I" -- you have your subject -- "am" -- which is the "I" form of "be" --, "I'm about toeat dinner. Can I call you when I finish?" So this means: "I haven't started dinner yet,but I'm going to eat dinner soon. Can I call you when I finish eating dinner?" Okay? Sovery simple meaning.My second example: "The movie is about to begin." So here wehave "is" which is the third form of "be"鲁伯特之泪 , "about", and "to". So we have "Be about to+ a verb". "Be about to sleep.", "I'm about to sleep.", "I can't do my homework, I'm aboutto sleep.", "I'm about to go to class.", "I don't have time to talk because I'm aboutto go to class." Meaning: "I'm going to class soon." Okay? So that's "about to".Now, "Be not about to" actually has a different meaning. Okay? So although it's similar, youstill have your "to", the only difference is this is in a negative; the meaning is different."Be about to" has to do with determination. So, what do I mean by this寨王的猎物 ? Well, here isan example: I might say, "I am not about to stop studying English because I failed a class."So this is a strong way to say... We don't write this, this is something we say in speechwhen we talk. You're showing the person you have determination. In this case: "I'm notabout to stop studying English because I failed a class", you're showing you're not goingto give up.I might say, maybe I have a friend, maybe they want to wear a pink wig and clown makeupin public. Okay? Kind of weird. I might say to them: "Listen, I'm not about to let yougo into public and embarrass yourself. I'm not about to let you wear that clown wig andmask because you'll embarrass yourself." Okay? Another thing I might say: "I'm not aboutto... I'm not about to move to Hawaii just because someone tells me Hawaii has nice weather."So I'm showing strong determination. So it's a strong disagreement, I'm not about to do something.All right江之岛盾子 , so let's do a quiz to see if you can remember the difference between "about","about to", and "not about to". Okay, so I have five sentences here, and together, Iwant us to fill in the blanks with either "about", "be about to", or "be not about to".Okay?So let's do the first one together. "Shiv is _______ six feet tall." Do you thinkthis is "about", "be about to", or "not about to"? If you said "about", you are correct.Meaning he is close to six feet tall, maybe he's 5'12, maybe he's 5'11; he's close tosix feet tall.Number two: "I'm _______ get on the train." "I'm aboutget on the train."莫小棋三级, "I'm about to get on the train.", or "I'm not about to get on the train."?Well this one you could actually have two answers. You could say: "I'm about to geton the train." Meaning soon, you will get on the train. You could also say: "I'm notabout to get on that train." Maybe you have a problem with the train, maybe you've seena scary movie about a train and you're really scared and so you want to say with determination:"I'm not getting, I'm not about to get on that train." Maybe you see someone you knowthat you don't like. So you could actually use "I'm about to" or "I'm not about to"邱宗志 ,depending on if you want to say "I'm determined not to go on the train." or in this case:"I'm going on the train soon." Okay夜魅公寓 , so both would be correct.Number three: "Your father is _______ let you date Antonio."Do you think this is "about", "about to", or "not about to"?"Your father is not aboutto let you date Antonio." So, I would say "not about to" because it sounds like maybefathers are protective of their daughters; they're worried about who their daughtersdate so they're determined to prevent this man's daughter from dating Antonio. Okay?But逸夫楼的来历 , on the other hand, maybe you have a very nice father who's not strict at all. Maybehe decided he hated Antonio, and then he changed his mind, so maybe you could also say: "Yourfather is about to let you date Antonio." But it's a little strange.Number four: "What is Terminator _______?" "About", "aboutto", "not about to"? "What is Terminator about?"So here, we're looking for the subject. What'sthe subject of Terminator? What's the movie about? Well, it's about a man who travelsback in time. It's a good movie.Okay奥杜尔单刷 , number five: "I just heard Aziza and Ayesha talking _______Nadira." So: "I just heard Aziza and Ayesha talking _______ Nadira." What do you thinkit is: "about", "about to", or "not about to"?"Talking about". So this isn't nice,Nadira is the subject. Well, they could be saying nice things about Nadira, they couldbe talking about Nadira in a very nice way, she花影重重 , you know, saying she's a great personbut maybe they're not talking nicely about her. Okay?So this video is about to finish. We have about maybe 10 seconds left. So before itends绩溪网 , I just wanted to say thank you for watching, and come visit us at our website: www.engvid.comwhere you can try out our test to see how well you do with the difference between "about","about to", and "not about to". So until next time, take care.
推荐阅读
英曲 · 第1辑 | 经典英文歌曲合辑 - 01-81
TED · 第1辑 | TED英文演讲合辑 - 01-72
听说 · 第1辑 | 发音口语听说训练合辑 - 001-130
四级 · 第1辑 | 英语四级考纲词汇26天突破
六级 · 第1辑 | 英语六级考纲词汇26天突破
重磅· 第1辑| 英语四六级考试最全攻略
精品| 英文学术论文写作教程合辑 (1-40)
精品| 和泽人家 - (1-9章,全本)
推荐 | 英音、美音系列语音视频教程合辑
精品 | 微英语外教系列英语课程汇集20讲
精品 | 读故事学英语系列合辑 - [重发]
精品 | Daily English Dictation - 001-134
精品 | 英语听说系列教程 - 001-125
精品 | 外教社杯高校外语教学大赛课例
觉得不错,请点赞↓↓↓
上一篇:爱情十二元素【视频】- 我和我的“影”校园行 影院-成电Culture 下一篇:爱总那么伤人【视频】- 表哥进城会表弟,误会闹得很“美丽”! 爆笑-淮安移动

繁华落尽 转瞬即逝

我们需要透过一系列的训练来突破关卡,我们需要达到一个不受到过去历史的羁绊的心境,透过这样的心境,进而引导成为一个适合进行前进到战士人,我们需要成为一个完美无缺的战士,我们的目标是遵循着力量进入无限的领域和穿越!